In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about the Patch & Asset Management - Infinity Management module. Infinity Management is a deployment tool offered by HEIMDAL Security that will provide you the ability to deploy 3rd Party Applications within your organization and to keep the deployed pieces of software up to date.
Infinity Management is a tool that can offer the possibility to silently deploy 3rd Party Applications that are not included in the list of 3rd Party Applications managed by HEIMDAL Security. Any applications that support silent installation commands (/I; /qn; /s; /update, etc.) can be deployed using the Infinity Management module. With this tool, you can deploy applications that have the following file extensions: .msi, .exe, .msp, or .zip.
HOW DOES INFINITY MANAGEMENT WORK?
Infinity Management is based on the 3rd Party Software module and works only if the 3rd Party Software module is turned ON. When the Patch & Asset Management - 3rd Party Software module is enabled, the HEIMDAL Agent checks the Windows Registries paths (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall) to see what are the 3rd Party Applications installed on the endpoint(s) and reports their status in the HEIMDAL Dashboard (it identifies an application using the DisplayName and DisplayVersion properties from the application's GUID registries).
Infinity Management can be used to:
A. Automatically install a 3rd Party Application that is not managed by HEIMDAL Security;
B. Automatically update a 3rd Party Application that is already added in the Infinity Management module;
C. Allow the users to manually install a 3rd Party Application that is made visible in the HEIMDAL Agent.
HEIMDAL Encryption Tool
The Heimdal Encryption Tool is an application you will use to encrypt the installer(s) you want to deploy in your organization with Infinity Management. You need to encrypt the applications you want to deploy for security reasons.
To encrypt a 3rd Party Application, you need to download and install the HEIMDAL Encryption Tool (which can be downloaded from the HEIMDAL Dashboard -> Products -> Patch & Asset Management -> Infinity Management -> View Private Patching Storage -> Download HEIMDAL Encryption Tool).
Run the HEIMDAL Encryption Tool, browse for the file that follows to be encrypted, and press ENCRYPT.
The encrypted file will be generated in the same path location as the original file or in the output path (if selected) with the .enc extension.
INFINITY MANAGEMENT view and setup
To add a 3rd Party Application to Infinity Management you need to upload the encrypted installer to your Private Patching Storage and to create the new application in the Infinity Management view.
A. Uploading the encrypted installer
1. The HEIMDAL Private Storage is available if you log in to the HEIMDAL Dashboard and access Products -> Patch & Asset Management -> Infinity Management -> View Private Patching Storage.
2. Upload the encrypted file to your Private Patching Storage by pressing the Upload File button and by importing the file.
B. Adding the new application
1. Once the 3rd Party Application is uploaded to the Private Patching Storage, you can create the application in Infinity Management, by going back in the Infinity Management view and by hitting the Add New App button.
- Specify the name of the application;
- Specify the Architecture;
- Specify the custom expression (the custom expression must match the Application's name, just like it is displayed in Control Panel - Programs and Features).
2. Configure the patch.
- Select the encrypted patch from the dropdown menu;
- Specify the version number (the version number must be identical with the one version number displayed in Control Panel - Programs and Features);
- Specify the silent installation argument;
- Infinity Management allows you to run specific command lines before installing the application or after installing the application.
3. Select the Operating Systems where you want to deploy the batch script and press Save Patch.