Thor RC is the release candidate (beta version) that is in pre-production.
We recommend you install this version only if someone from the Heimdal Security team recommends you do it. Otherwise, this version might cause issues because of its relative instability.
How can I upgrade to Thor RC? – HOME users
- Open Thor
- Click on the settings wheel
- Click on General Settings
- Turn on Release Candidate
How can I upgrade to Thor RC? – Enterprise users
- Open Heimdal Security Dashboard
- Login to your account
- Select Group Policies
- Open the policy in which you want to activate and install Thor Enterprise RC
- Enable “Include in Release Candidate Program”
Does Thor upgrade automatically when a new version is launched?
And what happens if I already have Thor RC installed?
Yes, Thor updates itself automatically in one of the following scenarios:
- If you have Thor 2.2.8 installed and version 2.2.9 is released, Thor will automatically update to version 2.2.9.
- If you have Thor 2.2.8 RC and version 2.2.9 is released, Thor will automatically update to version 2.2.9.
Thor will NOT update itself automatically in the following circumstances:
If you have Thor 2.2.9 RC and version 2.2.9 is released, Thor will not automatically update to version 2.2.9.
Thor's upgrade is based on the version number.
If Thor detects a lower version on the system, it upgrades automatically.
But if it detects a version that is equal to or higher than the latest version released (2.2.9 in this example), Thor will not upgrade itself automatically the latest version.
!!! The official update will always have a lower version number than the RC version (release candidate).
Example: If we launch Thor 2.2.9 official release, we will launch, at the same time, Thor 2.2.10 RC. Consequently, the next official release version will be 2.2.10.
So if you decide to use Thor 2.2.10 RC, when version 2.2.10 will officially be released, Thor 2.2.10 RC will not be automatically updated.
If the current version installed on the endpoint is equal to the RC version, the automatic update will not happen: 2.2.10 RC will NOT update to 2.2.10 official release.
If the current version installed on the endpoint is lower to the RC version, the automatic update will happen: 2.2.9 RC will update to 2.2.10 official release.