Heimdal was designed to work on both Static IP or DHCP environments. No extra settings are required. Once is deployed Heimdal will save your IP addresses in the registries and use them to resolve your DNS requests.
In case you want to set up a DHCP environment, please see below a guide to do that.
To correctly set a DHCP DNS, Static IP's must be configured in the DHCP reservation list of your DHCP server or network router. Using these settings also ensures avoiding IP collisions on the network.
Set up DHCP Reservation for a Computer
*the example was made on a Windows Server 2008 R2
To set up DHCP reservation in Windows Server 2008 R2 for a DHCP client computer in the network, administrators must follow the steps given as below:
- Go to the target DHCP client computer and fetch its physical address by typing IPCONFIG /ALL command in the command line interface and pressing Enter key.
- Log on to Windows Server 2008 R2 DHCP Server computer on which DHCP server role is installed using domain admin or enterprise admin account credentials.
- From the desktop screen, click the Start button.
- From the displayed menu, go to Administrative Tools > DHCP.
- On DHCP snap-in, from the console tree in the left pane, double-click to expand the DHCP server name.
- From the expanded list, go to IPv4 > <DHCP scope name>.
- From the displayed list, right-click Reservations.
- In the context menu that appears, click on New Reservation.
- On the New Reservation box, in the Reservation name field, specify a new reservation name.
- In the IP address field, type the IP address from the DHCP IP address pool that will be reserved for the target DHCP client computer.
- In the MAC address field, specify the physical address of the target DHCP client computer that was retrieved earlier in step 1.
- Click Add to add the new reservation to the selected DHCP scope.
- Once added, click Close.
- Close DHCP snap-in when done.
Before deploying Heimdal in your environment, make sure that all the machines are set to Obtain the DNS server address automatically.
*in order for the Heimdal Traffic Filtering option to work properly, Heimdal should be able to set its own DNS address (127.7.7.x), that’s why the client should have the DNS address set on automatic.