The steps that you need to take:
FOR HIGH AND VERY HIGH PROBABILITY OF INFECTIONS:
1. The first thing to do is to make sure that the machine is not connected to the network. This way you can reduce the probability of the possible infection to spread.
2. Please perform an in-depth scan using a strong antivirus. Alongside, also perform a scan using an antivirus software you have at your disposal.
3. While the scan is performed, open the process that is shown as being the source of the problem and try to find the issue:
- If the process shown is a browser (70%+ cases) then the problem might be extra toolbars or other browser, gadgets or third party software that is installed in the background with other software.
- If there are unwanted extensions and tollbars please remove them/ uninstall them. Make sure there is no unknown/unused/unwanted software installed in Control Panel>Programs and features.
4. Inform the user to keep an open eye for suspicious behavior regarding the functionality of the process in question and the computer overall.
We recommend you scan these endpoints with a reliable antivirus as soon as possible.
For further assistance please contact email@example.com