This article is destined to show, why GIF Transparent Proxy is NOT compatible with Thor Foresight Enterprise's filtering engine.
- GFI Proxy is mostly used in transparent proxy mode. This means the client's machines are NOT configured to use a proxy.
- In this mode, the proxy server is placed between the local network and the internet.
- The traffic is routed directly through a gateway and the clients connecting to the internet are filtered.
- When Thor Foresight Enterprise is installed on the machines, the traffic is filtered locally but it gets redirected through the same gateway GFI is using.
- GFI effectively cancels Thor’s filtering because of this. The packets never reach Heimdal’s filtering engine and the requests effectively get resolved at the gateway level and not locally.
- Thor Foresight Enterprise is still able to update or install software as intended but the traffic filtering will not work.
The products are simply not compatible.